Sacred Heart School History

Historically, the Precious Blood Sisters initiated Sacred Heart School in 1873. Although the first years were difficult and precarious, success was achieved through the determination of these women, the clergy, and faithful families committed to the Catholic education of their children. The school soon became an integral and valued segment of parish life.  When this religious order was unable to continue its work here, the sisters transferred the school into the professional care of the Sisters of Mercy of Nashville.

From 1873 until June of 1997, Sacred Heart School experienced many blessings. Among the finest of these was being in the presence of the two communities of religious women. What the Precious Blood Sisters began and continued for forty-four years, the Sisters of Mercy carried on for an additional eighty. Following in the footsteps of these two religious congregations, the Sisters of the Most Sacred Heart of Jesus of India took up the challenge as religious teachers. The sisters continued this apostolate for two full years (1997-1998) in both Sacred Heart Lawrenceburg and Loretto.

Today the school staff, administration, and teachers, is all laity. Initially named Saint Joseph School (after the parish) a simple house served as the first facility, and then a renovated church building. In 1912, the parish built a two-story structure to replace the inadequate building, and dedicated the building to the Sacred Heart of Jesus. In the mid-1950s, a kitchen, two classrooms, and indoor restroom were added to this two-story building. After fifty years of service to school and community, the 1912 complex was replaced with an auditorium, stage, office, and two classrooms facing Berger Street. With the completion of the Parish Life Center in 1990, the school witnessed a significant step forward in the enhancement of its facilities. The PLC included two new classrooms, a high school regulation gym with dressing rooms, public restrooms, concession stand, and a formal meeting room which is now the computer lab. In 1993, the kitchen was totally renovated and updated with the finest commercial equipment. The last improvements to date consist of the renovation of the school auditorium. The former stage was converted into two classrooms to meet the demand for additional classroom space.

Realizing the school serves a small community with limited resources, to date the tuition rate is only 20-25% of the usual parochial school tuition and fees. Its performance in nearly every sphere of endeavor since 1873 is a remarkable achievement; its history to date a rich and blessed one.